Newest Addition To The Family

I would like for everyone to meet my son, David Bentlee Adkins, he was born September 7, 2017. He weighed 8 pounds 12 ounces and was 21 inches long. He was born with a head full of hair. It is a completely different feeling becoming a parent. I love my son more then anything and would do anything for him.

I would like to thank the volunteers that helped me wash my harvested crop for our farmers market this past month. They helped with potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, cabbage, peppers, etc. The volunteers came in from North Carolina to do work camp projects with Red Bird Mission. I love getting to work with volunteers, because I love meeting new people. Each person has their very own story about their life and some stories would make you just think about how awesome these people really are.

So far this year our Farmer’s Market has exploded!  We have had over 17 vendors and they have reported selling over $3,000 in produce.  The Market opened in June and has been open every Saturday.  We also opened on a Tuesday to accommodate over 200 persons that come to the Mission monthly to receive Commodity groceries.  We were able to distribute 50 Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program check packets, each packet valued $28.00 to be redeemed at the farmer’s market here at Red Bird. We were blessed to participate in this Kentucky Department of Agriculture program.

About the Author:

My name is Travis Adkins. I am 23 years old. I was born in Harlan, KY to Donna and Lonnie Adkins. I come from a big family of 8 brothers and sisters. To me family is everything. In 2000 we moved from Harlan to Leslie County Where I attended Beech Fork Elementary and then later I attended Red Bird Christian School. Growing up in the Appalachian Mountains I learned a lot. One thing in particular was working in the garden with my dad, Lonnie, before he passed away in March of 2010. We would till up a gardening area so we could plant potatoes, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, cabbage, etc. Dad taught me a lot about all of that and how to be a good worker. He always said no matter what you do, do it to the best of your ability. My mom and dad was always encouraging us, along with raising us in church and setting a good foundation. In 2015 I gave my heart to the Lord and I try my best to do what he would have me to do to help people or try to lead someone to Christ. Not long after I gave my heart to the Lord, I met the love of my life, Kendra. I am now married and currently anticipating the arrival of our son, David Bentlee, in September of this year. Anyone that knows me, knows I'm all about the good Lord, my family and a hard worker. I thank God for all he has given me and I am excited to see what plans he has in store for me and my family in the future.

1. Jennifer Caldwell September 11, 2017 at 12:33 pm - Reply

Wonderful job Travis !! ❤️

• Travis Adkins September 12, 2017 at 9:47 am - Reply

Thanks Jen

2. Michelle September 11, 2017 at 12:37 pm - Reply

Congratulations, Travis! He’s a handsome little fella 🙂

• Travis Adkins September 12, 2017 at 9:46 am - Reply

Thank you, Michelle

3. Ashley Wilson September 11, 2017 at 1:02 pm - Reply

Awesome Trav! So proud of you! And Bentlee is just perfection🙌🏻

• Travis Adkins September 12, 2017 at 9:45 am - Reply

Thanks Ashley, I’m curious to see what Christian will think about him.

4. Mary A. September 11, 2017 at 4:46 pm - Reply

Proud of you and the work you’re doing. Can’t wait to meet Baby Pal! 😉

• Travis Adkins September 12, 2017 at 9:43 am - Reply

Thank you so much! He’s a sight, cant wait for you to see him.

Leave A Comment