At the beginning of our quarantine period, toilet paper and hand sanitizer were not the only items that were near impossible to find. We experienced a shortage in seeds and other garden supplies. Many families expressed a desire, and a need, to grow their own food. Fear of the unknown seemed to be the main motivation for growing a garden. During this COVID journey I too have had a desire to learn more about plants, soil, and gardening. What I didn’t anticipate at the time was the psychological benefits of growing a garden. 

In March I experienced severe anxiety and fear, as I am sure many of us have experienced. Add on the stress of working from home, a toddler, three dogs and a partner also working from home, I struggled. I took up daily journaling and gardening. I decided to attempt growing tomatoes from seeds. The excitement I felt when my seedlings sprouted was indescribable. The entire family had fun seeing how tall my plants were getting every day.  I also felt a mixture of emotions when my plants didn’t make it… it happens. 

I have expanded my garden, mulched around my beds and inside of my beds to prevent weeds, and wait patiently for my plants to bloom. I have discovered how much I enjoy watching insects; finding beauty where I used to find revulsion. I have a collection of photographs of various insects and I love identifying them.  

Gardens have many benefits, especially in a world of ongoing change. 

My raised bed with marigolds, daisy, basil, and tomatoes.

An unknown critter in my garden. It is gorgeous; its thorax glimmers in the sun.

Friend or foe?