What a week. As I am in my new office at home listening to my three year old giggle and attempt NTI work, I am rethinking all the plans I had for the spring. Like everyone, the current pandemic has altered my plans for a plant sale and a pop up kids market.  However, like our governor says we can rise up to challenge and we are all in this together.

I am refocusing my efforts on ways we can grow and create a garden at home. Whether your home is in the suburbs, country, or an apartment there are ways for you to grow flowers and vegetables. From now until the first week of April, I will feature three different families and their garden journey. Bonus points: it is educational and kids of all ages can participate!

You can buy soil online, or local. Jennings will take payment via phone and bring it out to you. We have so many businesses that are wonderful and will work with us to maintain safe social distance.

Seeds: Our public library has a seed exchange program! You can call them at 859) 986-7112 for more information.

Updates on the raised beds at Berea Community Elementary School: The garden blitz has been postponed. However, Martina LeForce with Berea Kids Eat is trying to coordinate stacking our existing beds to prepare for the garden blitz (this will be done safely with proper social distancing). More details to come! Our current situation changes day-to-day and it is difficult to make concrete plans.

In the meantime, please enjoy pictures I took of our students pulling weeds to help prepare our beds. Get outside, pull some weeds, get your hands dirty and enjoy the sunshine!