Upgrading the Green House

Travis again, I guess you could say, we are remodeling our green house. Upgrading everything for a more professional and durable green house. We upgraded the irrigation system from 2” PVC pipe to ½” polyethylene drip irrigation distribution tubing with 360 large circle micro sprayers to cover more watering area. We also attached a timer to the watering system. This will allow us to water our plants without us having to physically be there. The next upgrade is out benches, we have taken out the old wooden benches and are currently replacing them with “EZ-Grow Professional Greenhouse Benches”. These benches are made of aluminum for better durability and they don’t weigh as much as the old wooden benches we taken out from before. We have new vents and fans to install for better circulation of air flow. And a “10,000 BTU Heatstar Blue Flame Greenhouse Propane Heater” for the more chilly months in the green house. We are expecting to have everything ready with the green house come spring 2019.

Our “Red Bird Valley Kitchen” has been coming along nicely. With our main user already having one of his recipes approved and certified. He is currently working on getting some of his other recipes approved. Our certified Road Side Stand/Craft Store is one of the places that we can now sell produce and certified value added products.

The month of October was our last month for our Red Bird Farmers Market. We had a slow start with the weather and missing our planting dates. But all in all we had a good market for our farmers. Not only has it helped them financially by selling some of their produce but also had a lot of good conversations and swapping advice to one another.

About the Author:

My name is Travis Adkins. I am 23 years old. I was born in Harlan, KY to Donna and Lonnie Adkins. I come from a big family of 8 brothers and sisters. To me family is everything. In 2000 we moved from Harlan to Leslie County Where I attended Beech Fork Elementary and then later I attended Red Bird Christian School. Growing up in the Appalachian Mountains I learned a lot. One thing in particular was working in the garden with my dad, Lonnie, before he passed away in March of 2010. We would till up a gardening area so we could plant potatoes, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, cabbage, etc. Dad taught me a lot about all of that and how to be a good worker. He always said no matter what you do, do it to the best of your ability. My mom and dad was always encouraging us, along with raising us in church and setting a good foundation. In 2015 I gave my heart to the Lord and I try my best to do what he would have me to do to help people or try to lead someone to Christ. Not long after I gave my heart to the Lord, I met the love of my life, Kendra. I am now married and currently anticipating the arrival of our son, David Bentlee, in September of this year. Anyone that knows me, knows I'm all about the good Lord, my family and a hard worker. I thank God for all he has given me and I am excited to see what plans he has in store for me and my family in the future.

Leave A Comment