Cold Storage Room

Travis here again, we are happy to say that our cold storage room is almost complete. All we like now is to install the insulation panels to the cold room. This is gonna be a great way for our farmers to have more shelf life for their produce. We had a green bean donation come in that we stored in the cold storage building on July 18th. with the help of our cool bot, we were able to keep them building at close to 56 degree’s inside. A cool bot allows a normal air conditioner to cool a room lower then the air conditioners normal temp of 64 degree’s. Our craft store is also a “Road Side Market” so our farmers can now sell there produce all week long instead of just on Saturday’s.

We’ve had two Grow Appalachia training’s for this years month of July. We would like to thank the Clay County Cooperative Extension Office for helping with the training’s. Our first training was July 5th. This training was over “Preserving Your Food”. Lora Lee Howard did an amazing job with speaking, answering questions and providing a very helpful and informative power point for our farmers to learn on. We gave our farmers 1 case of wide mouth quart ball mason canning jars.

Our second training we had for this month was July 19th. This training was over “Fall Gardening”. Jeff Casada was great at explaining all the need to knows about fall gardening and answering our farmers questions. We gave our farmers tools after this training.

About the Author:

My name is Travis Adkins. I am 23 years old. I was born in Harlan, KY to Donna and Lonnie Adkins. I come from a big family of 8 brothers and sisters. To me family is everything. In 2000 we moved from Harlan to Leslie County Where I attended Beech Fork Elementary and then later I attended Red Bird Christian School. Growing up in the Appalachian Mountains I learned a lot. One thing in particular was working in the garden with my dad, Lonnie, before he passed away in March of 2010. We would till up a gardening area so we could plant potatoes, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, cabbage, etc. Dad taught me a lot about all of that and how to be a good worker. He always said no matter what you do, do it to the best of your ability. My mom and dad was always encouraging us, along with raising us in church and setting a good foundation. In 2015 I gave my heart to the Lord and I try my best to do what he would have me to do to help people or try to lead someone to Christ. Not long after I gave my heart to the Lord, I met the love of my life, Kendra. I am now married and currently anticipating the arrival of our son, David Bentlee, in September of this year. Anyone that knows me, knows I'm all about the good Lord, my family and a hard worker. I thank God for all he has given me and I am excited to see what plans he has in store for me and my family in the future.

Leave A Comment