Red Bird Farmers Market

Travis Adkins again, our Farmers Market has been a fun and exciting start to this farming season. Our farmers love coming out and swapping stories on how to better each others crop, what crops they like best, etc. Our market allows our farmers to sale any locally grown produce they have grown on their farms. The market has helped our farmers to raise more money for their farms, has let them interact with other farmers to swap stories, make new friends and new buyers. Our market isn’t only a market, its also a place for everyone to gather, talk and have a good time. I really enjoying hearing about everyone’s gardens and how their crops are coming along. Our market is also a Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP) certified market. Which allows some of our farmers who have had the up to date training to accept SFMNP checks that we can distribute out to our seniors in our county. Our market is open every Saturday from 9 in the morning to 12 noon. The dates are from June 2nd through October 27th. Come on out and enjoy what the farmers have to offer.

For the past few months we have been working on building our cold storage room. We now have the building built, but working on installing/building the cold room inside of our building. Big thanks to Red Bird Missions Work Camp for the time, labor and support in helping us to get this project finished. We are excited to see the final cold storage room complete and up and running. Our cold storage room is being built for our farmers to use when they don’t sale all of their produce at the farmers market so they can store what they have left for the next Farmer Market to increase the shelf life of their produce.

About the Author:

My name is Travis Adkins. I am 23 years old. I was born in Harlan, KY to Donna and Lonnie Adkins. I come from a big family of 8 brothers and sisters. To me family is everything. In 2000 we moved from Harlan to Leslie County Where I attended Beech Fork Elementary and then later I attended Red Bird Christian School. Growing up in the Appalachian Mountains I learned a lot. One thing in particular was working in the garden with my dad, Lonnie, before he passed away in March of 2010. We would till up a gardening area so we could plant potatoes, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, cabbage, etc. Dad taught me a lot about all of that and how to be a good worker. He always said no matter what you do, do it to the best of your ability. My mom and dad was always encouraging us, along with raising us in church and setting a good foundation. In 2015 I gave my heart to the Lord and I try my best to do what he would have me to do to help people or try to lead someone to Christ. Not long after I gave my heart to the Lord, I met the love of my life, Kendra. I am now married and currently anticipating the arrival of our son, David Bentlee, in September of this year. Anyone that knows me, knows I'm all about the good Lord, my family and a hard worker. I thank God for all he has given me and I am excited to see what plans he has in store for me and my family in the future.

3 Comments

1. Garrett July 12, 2018 at 6:19 pm - Reply

Travis, it sounds like this year is off to a great start at the market! It is very exciting to hear that locals are using the market not only for selling produce but also for swapping tips and building friendships. What a fantastic group of people you get to interact with!

I was a part of the team that helped design and build the Red Bird Water Kiosk and Farmers Market back in 2015. Thank you for sending these updates. It’s so nice to be able to hear how the building and the Red Bird community is doing. Is there any possibility you could email me any photos from this year’s market? I am always interested to see how it is being used and to learn in what ways the community has taken to it.

Thanks,
    Garrett

2. Garrett July 16, 2018 at 9:27 am - Reply

Hello Travis!

It sounds like a fantastic start to the summer market at Red Bird! I was a member of the team who designed and built the Red Bird Water Kiosk / Farmers Market a few years back. It is so nice to hear all the community events and bonding that the market has been able to host. I would love to see more photos of the weekly farmers market if you felt comfortable sharing?

Thank you for sharing these stories and continually posting about the market!

• Travis Adkins July 16, 2018 at 9:46 am - Reply

Hello Garrett, I will send you other photos of our market to your email.

Leave A Comment