Heirloom Apple Tree Collaboration

Last month on November 15th Red Bird Mission coordinated an heirloom apple tree training for our 55 Grow Appalachia members. Our Speakers Jeff Casada of the Clay County Extension Office and Jimmy Sizemore did an amazing job on showing the members the best way in how to go about planting apple trees and protecting them from critters. It was also fun to watch. Each of the 5 apple trees that the farmers received, is from a different apple tree family, each one has its own produce time. The apples will produce from June – October. This way the farmers will have apples growing 5 months out of the year. The Clay, Bell, and Leslie County Extension Offices and Soil Conservation Districts, all worked together with us to help provide our 55 Grow Appalachia members a small apple tree orchard of 5 apple trees of there own.  We also had a grant from GBGM Rural Food Security Grant that provided 50/50 with the extension offices/conservation districts to pay for the heirloom apple trees for our Grow Appalachia members.

2017 Heirloom Apple Tree Training

2017 Heirloom Apple Tree Training

2017 Heirloom Apple Tree Training

Also this December, me and Meredith Asher just finished our “Better Processing Control School On Acidified Foods”. So now we can properly operate and run our commercial kitchen. It was nice meeting everyone there.

About the Author:

My name is Travis Adkins. I am 23 years old. I was born in Harlan, KY to Donna and Lonnie Adkins. I come from a big family of 8 brothers and sisters. To me family is everything. In 2000 we moved from Harlan to Leslie County Where I attended Beech Fork Elementary and then later I attended Red Bird Christian School. Growing up in the Appalachian Mountains I learned a lot. One thing in particular was working in the garden with my dad, Lonnie, before he passed away in March of 2010. We would till up a gardening area so we could plant potatoes, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, cabbage, etc. Dad taught me a lot about all of that and how to be a good worker. He always said no matter what you do, do it to the best of your ability. My mom and dad was always encouraging us, along with raising us in church and setting a good foundation. In 2015 I gave my heart to the Lord and I try my best to do what he would have me to do to help people or try to lead someone to Christ. Not long after I gave my heart to the Lord, I met the love of my life, Kendra. I am now married and currently anticipating the arrival of our son, David Bentlee, in September of this year. Anyone that knows me, knows I'm all about the good Lord, my family and a hard worker. I thank God for all he has given me and I am excited to see what plans he has in store for me and my family in the future.

Leave A Comment