The Farmers Market Comes To A Close

Red Bird Mission has had a successful farmers market this year! The farmers have reported $5,940.50 of produce sold at the Farmers Market. We would like to thank the Rural Food Security Grant for allowing us to have food vouchers for low income families this year. Not only did they help our community but the farmers also. By giving people the vouchers this helped the farmers to make more money selling their produce. This also helped the low income families in our area by supplying healthy and organic food in their home. We would also like to thank the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program for allowing us to distribute senior checks. A lot of people don’t understand how much it means to the community around here, to get naturally raised and healthy produce without having to pay an arm or leg and to have accessibility, as the nearest grocery store is over 45 minutes away. I’ve had numerous people come up to me, telling me how much the farmers market has helped them and other families they know. I’m looking forward to doing it again next year.

RBM Farmer’s Market

RBM Farmer’s Market

RBM Farmer’s Market

RBM Farmer’s Market

Also Pine Mountain Settlement School came to take a tour of our commercial kitchen. We really enjoyed meeting with them for the first time and look forward to seeing them again in the future. Wishing them luck on their kitchen and excited to see how their’s turns out.

Pine Mountain Settlement School Tour Oct/20/2017

About the Author:

My name is Travis Adkins. I am 23 years old. I was born in Harlan, KY to Donna and Lonnie Adkins. I come from a big family of 8 brothers and sisters. To me family is everything. In 2000 we moved from Harlan to Leslie County Where I attended Beech Fork Elementary and then later I attended Red Bird Christian School. Growing up in the Appalachian Mountains I learned a lot. One thing in particular was working in the garden with my dad, Lonnie, before he passed away in March of 2010. We would till up a gardening area so we could plant potatoes, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, cabbage, etc. Dad taught me a lot about all of that and how to be a good worker. He always said no matter what you do, do it to the best of your ability. My mom and dad was always encouraging us, along with raising us in church and setting a good foundation. In 2015 I gave my heart to the Lord and I try my best to do what he would have me to do to help people or try to lead someone to Christ. Not long after I gave my heart to the Lord, I met the love of my life, Kendra. I am now married and currently anticipating the arrival of our son, David Bentlee, in September of this year. Anyone that knows me, knows I'm all about the good Lord, my family and a hard worker. I thank God for all he has given me and I am excited to see what plans he has in store for me and my family in the future.

Leave A Comment