Progress Towards Community Commercial Kitchen

Red Bird Mission is making exciting headway on the Community Commercial Kitchen!!!  Plumbing, wiring, equipment installs, and signage are almost done.  Much thanks to all the donors, Work Camp Volunteers, GA and Red Bird Mission Maintenance Staff that have been assisting.  We are scheduling a training for staff to understand how to use and maintenance the appliances and we are working with the Kentucky Center for Agriculture and Rural Development (KCARD)  to develop a business plan, procedures, protocols, and user agreements.

Red Bird Mission Commercial Kitchen Outside Signage

Inside of the Commercial Kitchen

Kitchen Appliances

Commercial Kitchen Pantry

Our Cold Weather/Off Season Training was attended by 32 participants.  Jeff Casada, Clay County Cooperative Extension Agriculture Agent, provided the training referencing the Home Gardening in Kentucky Publication.  After the training participants were provided cover crop seed.

Jeff Casada, Training Speaker

Participants at the Cold Weather/Off Season Traning

About the Author:

My name is Travis Adkins. I am 23 years old. I was born in Harlan, KY to Donna and Lonnie Adkins. I come from a big family of 8 brothers and sisters. To me family is everything. In 2000 we moved from Harlan to Leslie County Where I attended Beech Fork Elementary and then later I attended Red Bird Christian School. Growing up in the Appalachian Mountains I learned a lot. One thing in particular was working in the garden with my dad, Lonnie, before he passed away in March of 2010. We would till up a gardening area so we could plant potatoes, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, cabbage, etc. Dad taught me a lot about all of that and how to be a good worker. He always said no matter what you do, do it to the best of your ability. My mom and dad was always encouraging us, along with raising us in church and setting a good foundation. In 2015 I gave my heart to the Lord and I try my best to do what he would have me to do to help people or try to lead someone to Christ. Not long after I gave my heart to the Lord, I met the love of my life, Kendra. I am now married and currently anticipating the arrival of our son, David Bentlee, in September of this year. Anyone that knows me, knows I'm all about the good Lord, my family and a hard worker. I thank God for all he has given me and I am excited to see what plans he has in store for me and my family in the future.

Leave A Comment