We had a girls day for canning. Letha Fullen, Constance Parker, and I thought Tiana Marshall, aka (T T) and My’kole Vest, aka (Ko Ko) how to can tomato juice. They have been staying with us this past week and we are teaching them how to grow and preserve food in this short time. T T and Ko Ko have learned so much already; and are super excited about learning.
Our Recipe for our tomato juice is:
- 1 bushel tomato
- 1 Teaspoon salt per jar (Quart Jars we put 2 teaspoons. Pints we use 1 teaspoon)
- 1 Teaspoon lemon juice ( Quart jars 2 teaspoons. Pints 1 teaspoon)
- Core and peel tomatoes
- Place the tomatoes in the stock pot and fill it with water, bring them to a rolling boil, stirring regularly. (they will burn if you don’t)
- Wash and sterilize jars (We wash by hand. Sterilize in the oven)
- Once you have all your tomatoes in the stock pot and they are boiling, scoop them out and put in a blender\juicer.
- Then you pour the tomatoes into a fine strainer take a rubber spatula and scrap across the juice. This keeps the seeds out. (put a bowl under the strainer)
- Throw the seeds away
- Put juice back in large pot
- Bring the juice back to a boil
- Get the jars out
- Add the salt and lemon juice to the jars
- Pour the juice into the jars leaving 1\2 inch head space
- Place jars into water bath or canner and boil for 25 minutes
- You’re all DONE.
The girls had so much fun learning how to can. They can’t wait to take it home with them and let their families try there juice.
Hope y’all have had a great summer! We sure have!