Watching the leaves fall as they usher in the next season, I settle into my favorite time of year. The beautiful changes that transition us into winter bring many good things, like the fall vegetables that are so very delicious. This year I expanded my recipe book with some new family favorites, which is actually more of a triumph than one may realize. You see, I have a fear of trying new foods. However, this year, I found the courage and dove into the unknown.

My new favorite is Spaghetti squash Non-pizza Pizza. I thought that this would be a good transition into using a new food, since I love pizza (and who doesn’t??) This wonderful smelling, mouth watering meal was super easy to make and made great leftovers when warmed in the oven. I found this blog that explains how to cook this squash on Pinterest, posted by The Lean Green Bean,
( http://www.theleangreenbean.com/how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash/ )who is a dietitian in Columbus, Ohio, and she had a links to several recipes for using spaghetti squash. I have to admit that the scales tipped on this matter when I saw that someone from my hometown appeared to like this and promoted this meal. The “non-pizza pizza “recipe can be found on Jennifer Vargios’ website, which can be found at http://www.jennifervagios.com/blog/2015/2/8/the-non-pizza-pizza-squash .

squash non pizza pizza
Serves: 4

Time: Pre-roasting the squash takes 45 minutes ( I roast it on 400 degrees F on a cookie sheet sliced in half). Once roaasted this meal takes about 35 minutes to prepare.

Pre-heat oven: 400 degrees F

Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash (roasted and forked so stringy innards are scoopable)
1-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 eggs (or 1 egg and 2 egg whites)
1-2 teaspoons fresh or dry oregano
1/4-1/2 cup of tomato sauce (or prepared spaghetti /pizza sauce)
pepper to taste
your choice of toppings

Assembly:
Place 3 cups of squash, 2 eggs and half of shredded mozzarella cheese in a bowl. Stir combine. (p.s. you don’t have to beat the eggs, just combine).
Place all in a pie dish, bake at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes. I found that I like this better when it is cooked a bit longer.
Remove from oven and top this puppy with whatever you desire. I used pepperoni, mushrooms, and onions.
Bake another 25 minutes. Let set for 5-10 minutes then slice and enjoy !

Don’t forget the Soup!

Another discovery I made on Pinterest was Lemony Kale and White Bean Soup. This fresh tasting soup definitely warms the soul on a cool fall day. This was posted by Fork Knifes Swoon and can be found at http://www.forkknifeswoon.com/food-drink/2014/10/lemony-kale-white-bean-soup/ .

soup
Recipe by: Fork Knife Swoon 4 Servings
Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow or sweet onion, minced
1/2 Tbsp fresh garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp dried oregano
1 small lemon, juiced
4 cups (32 oz) rich chicken or vegetable stock
kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
2 (15 oz) cans cooked cannelini beans, drained (not rinsed)
1-1/2 cups (loosely-packed) kale (or sub. spinach or Swiss chard), removed from rough stems and torn into small pieces

Instructions
Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent and just beginning to brown. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two. Add the butter, and as it melts, stir in the herbs. Let cook for another minute or two until the onions are lightly golden.
Add the lemon juice followed by the stock and stir to combine. Cover, and bring the stock to a boil, then turn the heat down to low, and let simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the white beans and torn kale leaves, and continue to simmer until warmed through, about 3-5 minutes. If using a more delicate green, such as spinach, add right before serving. Serve warm with crusty bread.

Nutrition Information
Calories: 324g, Fat: 6.4g, Carbohydrates: 46.75, Fiber: 13g, Protein: 22.3g

So try something new, if not one of these recipes, then find one online or get one from a friend. I am learning that trying new foods, especially ones that I grow myself, is a great adventure that holds many rewards!