Hello everyone. This Alex Sanders, Grow Appalachia Garden Site Supervisor at Project Worth in Menifee County, Kentucky. I hope your weather is as beautiful as what we are experiencing. We are having a 4th straight day of rain-less weather and lots of sunshine with temperatures in the upper seventies to mid eighties. Our gardeners are very busy getting their gardens out and very excited about their gardens.

Speaking of our gardeners, on Sunday, May 3rd we held a fundraising benefit for Gail Mills, our Director. On October 1, 2014 she was involved in an automobile accident and she was in the hospital for 4 months and then began rehabilitation on February 1, 2015 and still has a

lot of rehabilitation ahead of her. She lost part of her right leg as is scheduled to be fitted for a prosthetic leg in the very near future. Obviously, she is confined to a wheelchair. I am very proud to say that every Grow Appalachia Garden family was represented at the benefit. Some were volunteers and helped with parking, greeting, cooking, serving or cleaning up after the benefit. The benefit food consisted of Soup beans, cornbread, wieners & kraut desert and a drink or hotdogs, chips, desert and a drink. All the food was donated, mostly by Grow Appalachia Garden. All of our families either purchased meals ,most multiple meals, or made food or monetary donations. I was quite pleased and humbled by the actions of our gardeners. This benefit lasted from 12-3 PM and we raised nearly $5,000.00 for Gail Mills. I am so proud to be associated with such compassionate people. This may be a small region we serve but they have a giant heart. As I say all the time, you get back what you give out!!! We, the people associated with Grow Appalachia Gardening, give out a lot and what we get back is priceless. Such as, the love and compassion shown by our Grow Appalachia Garden families on May 3, 2015. To all these people, I personally, want to say a big THANK YOU and MAY GOD BLESS YOU.

Unfortunately, I was to busy with the benefit I did not have time to take photos and didn’t think about asking someone to take photos. I’m sorry about this and it simply was a mistake on my part.

That’s about all I have for this week. I wish everyone continued beautiful, sunny dry weather this week. have a great week and remember we have great people in our garden programs. Happy gardening.