Everyone here is trying to find a dry day to plant their gardens. Plowing or tilling a garden when it is damp will insure a garden that is rock hard and difficult to hoe. Even though we are anxious to get our gardens planted, it is best to wait until the soil is dry and manageable. While you are waiting, make a loaf of banana bread, brew a pot of coffee and enjoy the gift of Spring: flowering trees, hummingbirds and soft breezes.
Banana Bread Recipe
- two eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup of mashed bananas
- 1 1/2 cups of white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray one 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray coating.
- Blend together the eggs, buttermilk, oil and bananas.
- Sift together the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Add to banana mixture and stir in pecans. Mix well.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.