Greetings from Menifee County, Kentucky. My name is Alex Sanders and I am the Grow Appalachia Garden Program Site Supervisor at Project Worth Outreach.
I have made a few garden visits this but not as many as I would have liked because of the wet rainy conditions we have experienced this year. During this blog I would like to share one of them with you.
The garden I want to tell you about is the one at Project Worth Outreach. Also, I will show you some photos of our greenhouses where we are growing a variety of tomato, pepper, watermelon , zucchini and cabbage plants among other items. All of these items will be used to meet our Grow Appalachia Garden Program participant’s needs and then what is left over, along with the plants raised by a Morehead State University gardening class will be sold to the public in our Mean’s Organic Produce Mart located here at Project Worth Outreach. We have one raised bed that is full of green onions and tomatoes. We have a bed that will soon be full of strawberries. We hope to harvest a few strawberries this but expect a bountiful harvest next year. We also have a small patch of leaf lettuce growing beside one of our greenhouses.
Below, please find a series of photos of garden activity around Project Worth Outreach. I hope you enjoy these photos. I hope to bring you many more photos in the coming weeks as I feature many more of our gardeners. Of course. These site visits will depend on the weather conditions.
Also, please find a recipe at the end of this post. Let me know what you think. I hope to bring you some news and photos from our elementary school gardeners next week. They are a joy to be around. Have a great week.

Cabbage Rolls
8 large cabbage leaves
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup cooked rice
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tsp. table salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup tomato juice
Cook cabbage leaves in boiling salted water to wilt. Combine beef, rice, onion, egg, salt and pepper with 2 tablespoons of tomato juice. Divide meat mixture among cabbage leaves, roll together and secure with toothpick. Put in skillet and pour remaining tomato juice over this. Cover and cook over low heat for about 40 minutes, turn often spooning sauce over rolls. Makes 4 servings.   Enjoy.
Gail Mills

Project Worth Outreach raised bed. Tomatoes and green onions.

Project Worth Outreach raised bed. Tomatoes, peas and green onions.

Green Onions

Green Onions

Soon to be filled with strawberry plants.

Leaf Lettuce

Leaf Lettuce

Tomatoes

Tomatoes and peas

Project Worth Outreach Greenhouse #1

Project Worth Outreach Greenhouse #1

Garden plants for GA gardeners inside PWO Greenhouse # 1

Garden plants for GA gardeners inside PWO Greenhouse #2