When the weather makes it hard to stay on top of your garden, it’s easy to fall into thinking that you had a bad year. Maybe your tomatoes blighted out after their first run. Maybe you didn’t get your corn planted when you wanted to, so you feel like you were behind on it. Maybe you tilled some ground and it was too wet to plant, so you sat on some seeds that you wanted to have planted that week. Maybe the rain gave the weeds a boost and you felt like you’d never catch up to them. Maybe that’s just me.

Looking at our harvest numbers, though, we didn’t do that bad. We didn’t do nearly what we had planned to do, but we did good considering we  averaged 2.5 bushels of most crops that were planted and much more than that with some things that we grew.

I’m pretty sure what happened was that I was focusing on what we wasn’t getting  and lost sight of what we were getting. It’s easy to do. But as I sit back and get ready to plant my fall things, I’m just happy that our participants grew enough to feed their families and and some surplus to sell. I’m happy that my friends got to enjoy some of the fruits of their  labor. I’m happy that we all knew where it all came from. I’m still not completely satisfied with the turnout, so I’ll keep on keeping on and try to do better next time.

Today we tilled the ground for the Wolf’s high tunnel, as well as delivering cold crops. While we were in the area, we also picked up our preserving equipment.

We’re all looking forward to seeing how much further we can stretch the bounty of our hard work through preservation.