Hello, my name is Alex Sanders and I am the site supervisor for the Grow Appalachia Gardening Program at Project Worth Outreach in Menifee County, Kentucky.   Today, I want to expand on last week’s blog post.  Last week I told everyone about our canning classes in Menifee County and briefly mentioned the upcoming canning classes to be held for the Rowan County Grow Appalachia Gardening participants.

Our Rowan County Grow Appalachia Gardening Program participants held a one day class at the Rowan County Public Library on August 6 from 5-8 PM. This canning class was led by Rowan County Extension Office agents Bob Marsh and Laura White.   This class was a hands on class.   Door prizes and free samples were given away.   The door prizes were 1/2 pint, pint, and quart jars. Also, there were 2 canvas bags given away as door prizes.   Each participant received a paring knife and potato peeler and corn silk brush.   Each participant received a 1/2 pint of canned peaches. During this class, the participants canned green beans, cucumbers and peaches. The participants also learned how to freeze corn and were shown how to make tomato juice.

I hope you have enjoyed the photos of our Rowan County Canning Class.  Project Worth Outreach has now completed it’s canning classes for this year.  We hope our participants in Menifee and Rowan Counties enjoyed and learned enough about canning to give themselves the conifidence needed to preserve food for their families. Until next week happy gardening and canning.