Friday was the grand opening of Red Bird Mission’s Farmer’s market. I was excited about our opening at Red Bird Mission’s fireworks show, where about 120 people attended. I was also excited for people to be able to show off the fruits of their hard work in spite of the weather. From our community gardens alone we had cauliflower, broccoli, squash and cabbage. Some of our participants provided cucumbers and green tomatoes, as well.

We’ve had a slow start this year, but we’re coming around. With the rainy weather, we haven’t had a lot of time to get out in the garden, but we weeded where we could. We also noticed that we have plenty of volunteer plants growing that we’re going to watch without doing anything and see how they grow. We’ve got some squash, some beans and just noticed some tomatoes coming up.

During a home visit, I noticed some tomatoes with blight. We disposed of them and treated the soil. We won’t be replanting there yet.

IMG_1034 IMG_1035

I’d like to thank all of our participants for all the hard work in their gardens as well as volunteering with the farmer’s market. A big thank you to Red Bird Mission for allowing us to piggyback our market on their fireworks display.