Jackson Co Detention Center

Jackson Co Detention Center

Jackson County Jail

Truck loaded and ready to plant

The Jackson Co Detention Center has put their greenhouse to good use. They have grown many of their own plants to use in their 3 1/2 acre garden. Here are some pictures of them loading up the plants to take down to the garden.  Yesterday, I stopped by for a visit and learned that they had planted over 700 Seed potatoes.

Their greenhouse was bursting with plants that were still waiting to be planted. For many of us we only use one or two small seed trays plopping in 2 or 3 seeds at a time thinking that only one or two may germinate.  I found that almost every one of my seeds took off and quickly grew into many more plants that simply can’t fit into my garden. I’m excited to share that one of our sites and community partners The UK Cooperative Extension Service in Jackson County is going to hold an event called “Dig it” A Plant and Seed Exchange.

Too many seedlings???

Too many seedlings???

It is a friendly gathering of people who love to garden. They bring plant seedlings, seeds, cuttings and other garden-related items to share with other gardeners. Do you have extra plants? Plant exchanges are a fun and free way to get new plants for your garden, while giving away your extras. Come join us Wednesday, June 5 from 5:00-6:00pm at the Jackson County Extension Service. Call 287-7693 for more details.