The month of May is a busy month for us; getting gardeners signed up to participate,
ordering supplies, and trying to get the necessary tools to have a good garden and everyone can
eat healthy. I had one gardener bring me onions and lettuce, and they were
exceptionally good. I was surprised at how large his onions and lettuce had grown.

We have approximately 68 gardeners. Some only ask for tomatoes, peppers, and
cucumbers, raising them in tiny beds. Others might have a place around the fence to plant peas, and they also use containers. It’s surprising how much they can grow in small places.

We had our Planning Workshops in February. We have more gardeners in the Man
area than the Logan Area, which is different from previous years. Logan always has at
least 20-25 gardeners. On our planning days, we had two sessions of planning
in the Man area so that we could social distance. We had the Logan Planning Workshop in the
Church fellowship hall, since they are kind enough to allow us to use their facilities.

After the Planning Workshops, they completed their list of plants or other things, and we
started ordering our canning jars and canning supplies. While we were planning and
talking, I asked if anyone had some extra canning jars they were not using, and if so to please bring them, and help other people who needed a bunch of jars. We received quite a few jars.

We have several widows and widowers in our group, and we most of them had their
income cut; in order to have healthy food, they have to know how to garden. These
people are certainly not beginners, I am sure they can grow a garden and I know they
make the best jellies and jams, plus apple butter.

Some gardeners said their potatoes, peas, and a few others things were coming up
really well. One lady said she would already have peas to eat next week.
I think I need to say this: the gardeners who enrolled are really thankful for Grow
Appalachia, and so am I.