Grow Appalachia Friends Come to Visit

This week was very exciting because people from Grow Appalachia came to visit some garden sites with us. In fact, we took them to multiple sites that individuals in our Grow Wise program cultivate. Thankfully, everything went off without a hitch and everyone’s gardens looked great. Furthermore, this was a fun and interesting experience because I actually had the chance to visit some sites that I had never seen before. I always enjoy interacting and meeting new individuals and am happy I had the chance to give them a tour of some of the many gardens in Wise County. I hope these pictures and this post inspires others to start their own gardens and know the importance of crop production.

Woody Plants — Ground Covers and Vines

Also, this week, I presented on woody plants to Master Gardeners in training. Specifically, the presentations were on ground covers and vines. On a different note, who loves jeopardy? Jeopardy is a fun game that you can play in the classroom and even watch on tv. With this being said, after giving the presentation on woody plants, we allowed the people who attended to play jeopardy to see how much they remember from the presentations. This kept them on their feet and tested their knowledge about the topic. Furthermore, I will be making educational videos on both of these topics, so keep a check on the VCE Wise County YouTube page.

Where Would We Be Without Bees?

This week has been filled with presentations and activities. For instance, I had the opportunity to give a presentation on bee decline to the Southwest Virginia Master Gardener Association. In fact, this is the second time that I have given this presentation and I plan to present again in August at a Bee Association meeting. Bees are so very important to our environment and in crop production. With this being said, it is very relevant that all vegetable and plant growers know the importance of our many pollinator species and bee decline fits perfectly in that category.