Jessica and family are a first time garden family. Here are her words about our backyard gardening program here in Morristown, TN.

This garden experience has been amazing. I’m Jessica, a wife, school nurse, and mother of three. I have always wanted a garden and to share the experience with my kids, but I never knew where to start at all. I remember as a kid, breaking beans in the kitchen with my great-grandmother. My other grandmother had a kitchen full of sunflower decor from floor to ceiling and a yard full of various plants and flowers. 

So anyways, I kept seeing this post on facebook about a garden club and how you would be provided with everything you need for a garden. I thought this sounded too good to be true, but I signed up anyways, for ten bucks! 

Before I knew it, we were all quarantined at home during this 2020 COVID-19 pandemic and I had a backyard with a big dirt rectangle in it. I was a little overwhelmed, but my husband being the biggest supporter, got out there and helped rake it and throw out all the big piles of grass left. It was hard work! Together, we planted the tiny seeds that we were provided. I honestly did not think anything would grow. I am a Negative Nancy. This garden has proved me wrong. We were so excited to see the tiny sprouts come up and now, I think we have a pretty cute garden that has produced veggies that we have eaten! So cool! Our boys have loved helping. They get to see this stuff grow and help us harvest and prepare it. We have been able to share quite a bit with family. We have cooked meals with green beans and corn to share with our families. We have shared cucumbers and tomatoes with neighbors. It is so great to be able to do this. 

I have learned so much from this program. The fertilizers, organic sprays, the tools! I could not have done this without the help of this program. I have even learned to CAN FOODS and make pickles. Amazing! I have had a lot of time at home with my kids these last few months and this garden has helped keep us busy, and safe too! We mostly stay home and play in the garden. I love sharing pictures of how the garden has grown and seeing other members’ photos and how well their gardens are doing. Sharing experiences with the groups online, such as the bugs and critters getting into our foods and the awesome morning glories we have, has been great! It has been wonderful and I think everyone needs some kind of garden! Thank you Jason and Grow Morristown!

Jessica