— Food Revolution Class Students, High Rocks, Hillsboro, WV

Hello!  I go by Pine, it’s kind of a weird nickname, but it’s what my best friend so lovingly calls me.  I have been a High Rocks girl for about 2 years.  This is my 3rd time at camp, but 2nd time at Camp Steele specifically.  This year I’m in Food Revolution, it is a class about relationships with food, and food culture.  We are going to be making food.  We had a challenge ingredient today which was squash.  I never eat squash so working with it will be something new.  We also get to make menus to present.  I’m going to make mine mostly related to stuff me and my friend do because I’m closest to her, and I love her with all my heart.

For our challenge, my group is making a vegetable soup.  We are going to make a traditional vegetable soup, however we are adding paprika, cayenne, and jalapeno peppers for bold flavors.  On the side, we will be serving fried and breaded yellow squash.  I am excited to learn how to work with other people in the kitchen.  I can’t wait to test and taste our soup and side!

I’m so happy for tomorrow.  I can’t wait to make squash casserole.  It’s going to have spinach and rosemary.  It’s going to be very good and can’t wait for you to try it.

Food Revolution has made me so excited to be able to use vegetables that High Rocks has grown.  Being able to experiment with fresh produce in our cooking challenges has opened my eyes to all the potential possibilities while cooking.  I am exceedingly thankful to even have the opportunity to do hands on work in the garden, and to be able to produce delicious comfort food for everyone at camp.

I am excited to make squash casserole because I have never made this or heard of this.  So I am really excited about this.  I love to cook so this is going to be a great experience.  I love food and I like eating so this healthy dish is going to be delicious.  I feel like this will expand my teamwork skills.  This is also fun because I love casseroles and squash so combining this will be delicious.