So I wanted to share this recipe in the blog today because not only is it healthy, it is DELICIOUS and makes great use of a variety of garden vegetables.  I tasted the enchilada sauce as I was making it and ended up eating it like soup because it was that good!

Ingredients:

2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
2 bell peppers, seeds removed and diced
1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped
1 zucchini, sliced in half and quartered
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper, if you like some heat
freshly ground salt and pepper

For the enchilada sauce:

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
3 cups tomato sauce
2/3 cup water
salt and pepper, to taste

The rest of it:

1 (15 oz) can vegetarian refried black beans (any kind will work)
4 low carb or whole grain tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese

Toppings, if desired:

avocado/guacamole, cilantro, hot sauce

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Add all veggies to a large bowl and drizzle olive oil on top. Sprinkle chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper on top. Use your hands to toss the veggies to evenly distribute the spices and oil. Dump veggies onto a large baking sheet and evenly spread out to the edges. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Once done roasting, reduce oven heat to 350 degrees F.
While the veggies are roasting, prepare the enchilada sauce: In a large saucepan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add in onions and cook, stirring frequently until they become translucent, about 5 mins. Add in garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for 30 more seconds. Add in tomato sauce and water; stir well to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer sauce for 20 minutes or until thickened up a bit. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Spray a 2 quart circular dish, cake pan or spring foam pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add 1/2 cup enchilada sauce to the bottom of the pan and add a tortilla, spread about 1/2 cup of refried beans on the tortilla then top 1/4 of the roasted veggies, add 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce then sprinkle 1/3 cup of cheese on top. Repeat 3 more layers, then pour remaining enchilada sauce on top with remaining cheese.

Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and a little golden around the edges. Let the casserole sit for 5-10 minutes before serving. I love topping mine with avocado or guac, cilantro and a little hot sauce. Serves 6.

I truly hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  It was even good after freezing/defrosting/reheating it and I definitely did not miss having meat in it!

As for our community and home garden endeavors, I have a to do list as long as my arm this week including getting our soil tests done, measuring for home garden fencing, planting more seeds, planning out class dates, confirming our participants and visiting our prospective home gardeners yards and existing gardens.  For our area, I’m not behind the power curve (luckily) as we got snow again at the end of last week.  I have surely had enough of winter!  We will be utilizing low tunnels heavily this spring, since they worked so well last year.  My goal is to outperform last years harvest numbers, though I recognize that part of it will involved nature being cooperative!  My other big goal is to plant well enough in the town of Valley Head to set up a free roadside stand of extra veggies and typed recipes to go with them, which hopefully in turn will increase interest next season (or even late this season).  Our biggest challenge right now is a lack of interest from people, which I have difficulty comprehending but it is what it is.  Any ideas from other sites who have struggled with garnering interest in home gardens would be very much appreciated.
Until next time, happy garden planning!
Peace,
Kelley