Is it just me, or does this spring seem extra long? No, I know it is not just me. The warm temps got everyone garden- antsy and the drop in temps (14* at my house last week!) reminded everyone it was still winter.

So, what do we do with all the pent up garden energy? PLAN and PREPARE.

leaves

Above you can see piles and piles of leaves. If you crunch them up with a lawnmower first, they will break down that much faster, especially if you are using it as mulch. Use what you have around you to add nutrients to you garden.

Below you’ll see Dessie Scott School’s 2 raised beds (this is the very beginning of the construction of the beds). The beds are on the south side of the building where they will get lots of summer sun. They are just outside of the classroom windows and are considered their new “outdoor classroom.”

dessie scott raised beds

Wait for days where your garden is not mucky and muddy. Never walk in  your growing space when it is muddy as you will create a hardpan making a difficult or impossible passage for roots to grow.

As I drive here there and yonder, I have seen so many yards and fields around Wolfe County plowed up this month. Some are even tilled. Some have dark manure or compost laid out. Some have trellises built and ready for climbing peas. There are a number of families that have their peas and onions planted. But what about spinach, lettuce, radish, kale? It is good to get that soil prepared now whether you are plowing and tilling or if you use no till methods. If you are not tilling, you may need have mulch on your beds that you need to pull back so that the sun can warm up the soil enough before planting. Check your Home Vegetable Gardening in Kentucky book that is available at your local Extension office about soil temperatures needed for different crops to germinate. While you are there, grab some soil sample bags and probe so you can get you soil sent off in time to get results before the season is in full swing. With your soil results you will know what amendments to make to your soil. Healthy soil = healthy fruit = healthy people!

What about cover crops? Did you plant any crops to add back to your soil over the winter? My neighbor just turned in his winter wheat. I have winter rye and hairy vetch going strong that I will soon mow down and utilize as mulch. These crops add back to your soil during seasons where you are not growing veggies. We have a cover crop class coming up on May 9.

Next up: Planting and Transplanting Workshop on Monday, March 27, 6-8pm with Sarah Fannin, Morgan County Ag. Agent.

plants-guru-seedling-trays