Bea Sias
LEAD-Logan, WV
Step by Step

I have been taking applications and names since December 2016 for new people who are interested in the 2017 Garden Season. This is not a hard job to do, because they call me or track me down to get more information on the Grow Appalachia program in Logan.

People love the program, I have been excited by all these people who are interested. There is no trouble in getting any of them to the workshops, they always learn something new. One local business owner in Logan told me that this was the best program that we have ever had in this area. I really wish we could help a lot more.

Workshop attendees, getting ready for 2017 Garden Season.

I did have two couples who decided they wanted to sign up for the Grow Appalachia gardening program in Logan. They did not know a thing about gardening. That is no problem for us, we have some very good mentors to help them out. The reason they wanted to join the project is to grow vegetables, one is Pastor of a church and they have several people in the community that are in need of food and food pantries in the area are running low. They also plan to can and freeze what they grow for their holiday baskets that they give out. I am sure they will learn a lot and my gardeners will be more than glad to help them.

Also Big Ugly had a large turn out for their workshop on March 11, 2016. Those people are anxious to get their tools out and start working on their gardens.

March Workshop at Big Ugly Community Center

Hopefully, we don’t get any snow that is being forecast for parts of West Virginia. Some will definitely be very upset and call me and ask, “Bea when is it suppose to clear up.” Winter needs to loosen it’s grip from our region, so spring can finally move in and we can officially start putting things in the ground.

We also want to wish Marcelle St. Germain a very speedy recovery and hurry home.