I must start the year by apologizing for not getting our blog out on the 1st. My husband and I were doing our usually holiday traveling to see our families. Sadly my travel computer has a nasty trojan virus I haven’t been able to eradicate so we were off the worldwide web. Actually it was a nice way to start the year. Sooo, Happy New Year to everyone! We hope it’s a great year with lots of fabulous food and friendship growing.
We are looking forward to starting to look at seed catalogs and make order lists and start planting as the weather allows. Thanks to the weather-relatively mild and rainy we still are growing our fall/winter crops. The lettuce is doing well in the high tunnel. The stir fry greens are doing well in the greenhouse. The kales, cabbages, brussel sprouts, kohlrabi and broccoli are managing in the raised beds and field. Bill and I put row cover over some things on Dec. 7th before a bad freeze and they are all doing pretty well. It’s been mild since then but we’ve left it on because it’s keeping the deer off. One of the things we didn’t cover was the cauliflower and the deer have munched that down to almost nothing. It’s fascinating what things they eat and what they don’t.

Raised beds with row cover.

Raised beds with row cover.

Row cover in the field over collards and mustards.

Bill and Debbie have been working with Servalution(a free health clinic near us) this past month making plans to help the families they serve start gardening along with us. They hopefully will be joining us for all the education programs. They can then garden with us at the Organic garden, at Servalution’s beds or at their own homes.
We are looking forward to another great year of organic gardening and sharing the wonderful experience of growing the best food with old and new members in 2017.