It never fails that each time I venture into the Pine Mountain Settlement School digital archives, I am reminded of the resourcefulness, intelligence and ingenuity of our Appalachian ancestors. In planning for our upcoming sorghum stir-off, I began looking through the archives to find photographs of the stir-offs that used to be common place at and around the school. Not to my surprise I found exactly what I was looking for and yet again more inspiration to revive our heritage skills that are still quite relevant and useful but are increasingly hard to learn first-hand. By offering a sorghum stir-off workshop on September 16-17 we hope you will join us as we carry the timeless art of making sorghum syrup “molasses” as many still call it, into the future. If you would like to register for the event please go to our workshop registration page.. If you have any questions about the event or are interested in lodging and meals at our beautiful and historic campus please feel free to email office@pinemountainsettlementschool.com or give us a call at 606-558-3571.64_life_work_028c

64_life_work_026a

64_life_work_028a

64_life_work_028d