Bee Flowers

Bee Flowers

We made a huge effort this year to plant more flowers for the pollinators. The big question is though who’s enjoying them more the pollinators or us. We are just so wowed by the beautiful colors in the garden this year we can hardly stand the beauty. I will apologize at this point for getting a D- in the picture department this month. This would be such a great place for more flower pics and potato harvest last week and rows of cans of veggies and happy canners and and so many more great garden moments.
The garden is producing like crazy which is probably true for everyone about now. Tomatoes tomatoes and more tomatoes. Beans beans and more beans. Potatoes potatoes and more potatoes. Not to mention onions, basil, peppers, okra, cukes, squashes, blackberries, cabbages and oh my the corn is just starting and it’s heavenly. It’s been the best year we’ve ever had for growing summer squash and cukes which is quite lovely. I hate to put this in writing let alone say it but we haven’t been hit to bad by bugs this year which means especially the beans look really good in addition to tasting reallly good! We are down in the amount of rain we should have but thankfully we’ve had enough to keep things going without really watering much. We’ve managed to pick and sell $200 worth of mostly beans the last couple weeks which is great for us as the bugs have bitten them so bad in years past we couldn’t really sell them.
The last two fridays we’ve had canning sessions. We’ve canned beans, tomatoes, salsa, and tomato soup. We’ve also made pesto to eat fresh and freeze. I love to have mac and cheese for lunch during these sessions and then get people to mix in a little of the fresh pesto. Ummmmmmm!
I’m pretty sure we are all enjoying cooking all this great food. My favorite is what I call throwing the garden at the pan. Basically stir frying what ever veggies I’ve collected. We just can’t get enough of it. I hear a lot of members talking about potatoes, beans and onions. Lots of ooo’s and aaah’s over the corn and tomatoes.
I hope everyone is enjoying great harvests right now and cooking great fresh meals and sharing it all with family and friends!
IMG_9838july16
Marisol and Lily doing the Tennessee weave in the high tunnel.