Look What’s Happening Down on the Farm!

Hello from the Farm and Food Teen Trainin3dc221c3-6e69-4aa6-91d3-38619f1490c6g Program at Rural Resources in Greene County, Tennessee!

The teens have been busy tilling and planting their gardens, at homIMG_4269e and here on Rural Resources’ Holly Creek Farm. Last week Farm and Grazing Manager Taylor Boles helped one of our new V-Team teens — V-Team is the newest group of teens in our program — till and plant his first vegetable garden!  He is excited and so are we! Brian planted some tomatoes, peppers and other veggies started by the teens in the green house here at the farm, along with some seeds he sowed in his freshly tilled soil.

Taylor also spent a couple hours with the V-team teens last week teaching them about plant diseases and how to keep their plants healthy for a good harvest. She developed the class to be a practical, hands-on experience for the group, taking them into the teen garden to get a look at what to watch for in their home gardens. Surrounded by tomato plants, greens, carrots, onions, peas, herbs and more, the class had plenty of examples of vegetables growing at different stages and the pests and diseases they are prone to. They also spent time planning out the rest of the teen garden. There was talk of a small corn maze, a variety of veggies and discusson about trying some more exotic fare in the future. Their enthusiam was evident as Taylor guided their discussion and shared ideas about which items may thrive best in a Southern Appalachian summer. IMG_4272

Looking ahead, the summer is shaping up to be busy and productive with more planting scheduled for the home gardens. Also on the calendar are over a dozen classes, demos and other events aimed at teaching the youth, as well as developing their ability to share their skills and knowledge with the public and try their hand at business enterprises. One of the upcoming classes will focus on preserving the harvest from their gardens, allowing the teens and their families to benefit from the gardens throughout the winter months.

The teens and their families aren’t the only ones benefitiing from all the hard work, though. A local soup kitchen has received several sizeable donations of fresh produce from the Holly Creek teen garden already this season. We — and our teens — are proud that they are not only learning life skills and sustainable agriculture, but also becoming aware of the needs of others and stepping up to help bring positive change to their community and those in need.

— Lorelei Goff, Program Assistant, Farm and Food Teen Training Program

About the Author:

I am from a farming community in Indiana where my family farmed over 200 acres. As a teen, my family moved to Florida where I became heavily involved in 4-H and developed a love for service and passing knowledge onto others. I graduated and began working at the local girls club while attending college for a Business/Administration degree. I realized that teaching youth was my passion and stayed at the girls club for 12 years before moving to East Tennessee. In East Tennessee I was able to reconnect with my farming roots and began a home garden. In growing, I tapped further into my roots and began canning and freezing food for my family. Really enjoying putting to use all the long hours working on the farm in my youth and realizing how important that was for me to learn, I wanted to get back into teaching youth again! Skimming help wanted adds, led me to Rural Resources who was looking for a coordinator to run their Farm and Food Teen Training Program. All my loves in one - youth at-risk, farming, gardening, cooking, and business planning! What a wonderful life to share my passions with others, play on the farm, enjoy local home cooked food, and advance these youth to a better future! Here I have been for 6 beautiful, happy, and productive years!

Leave A Comment