I just love getting out to see what is happening in our Wolfe County gardens. Recently I visited fellow Wolfe Countians , Ray and Belinda Perry. These two, and their daughter Ayla, are experienced in gardening but have joined our Wolfe Co. Grow Appalachia program to expand their knowledge in organic gardening practices. They even have their own little greenhouse built off the side of their house where they start their seeds. We got our tomato and pepper plants from the Perry’s.

IMG_2677 IMG_2678

They already have quite a bit growing which is so exciting! Something to inspire our folks who might not think that you can start plants so early in the season.

IMG_2680 IMG_2683

Tomatoes fill their hoop house. They move their hoop house each year to avoid pest and disease.

We actually have two families that reside in our neighboring Powell County. They live in the Gorge and each have great gardens started. I went there this month to check up on their progress and distribute some trellising equipment since they had peas growing.

The Hicks have their garden in an old horse field.

IMG_2670 IMG_2667 IMG_2666

The Doursons started their own plants with a great multi level system under some florescent grow lights. Finn waters the lettuce while I talk with his mom.

IMG_2659IMG_2660

I love to see what people in their gardens are doing because I learn so much about the many possibilities in gardening as well as getting to know our great community better.