Good morning! My name is Heather Dent. I am the newest member on the Grow Appalachia staff in Berea Kentucky. I was hired as an Americorps member to help coordinate Summer Feeding Service Program (SFSP).
Here is everything you need to know about me.
- I am a freelance illustrator. I illustrate picture books, posters, portraits, book covers, logos…you name it! You can check out my artwork at my website Heather Dent’s Studio or visit my blog here.
- I have a 5 year old named Sam. He has a crazy wild imagination and likes to spin tales (usually about robots, tigers, and super powers).
- My husband, Keith, just got his Masters in economics from the University of Illinois. He’s super smart.
- The library is my second home. I go there twice a week and come away with gigantic armfuls of picture books, graphic novels, and audiobooks.
- I have a serious board game addiction. Last year I made a Christmas tree entirely out of my board game collection. My top 3 favorite games are: Agricola, Castles of Burgundy, and Egizia.
- I’m a firm believer in fresh air. I love to go hiking, birding, running, kayaking, frolicking, or just sitting under a tree with a good book. As long as I’m outside I’m happy.
- I’m a huge movie and TV buff. I brighten up anytime “Coen Brothers” or “Jack Nicholson” is mentioned in conversation.
That’s all folks! I’m really looking forward to working here with Grow Appalachia. I can already tell it’s going to be the kind of job I’ll look forward to going to each morning. I love the people. I love the mission. I am happy to be here!