Lettuce, tat soi, eggplants

Lettuce, tat soi, eggplants

kales, spinach

kales, spinach

Brussels Sprouts, cabbages, kohlrabi

Brussels Sprouts, cabbages, kohlrabi

cauliflower, tat soi, lettuces, tomatoes and peppers

Cabbages, kohlrabi, broccoli

Cabbages, kohlrabi, broccoli

Leafy greens and peanuts

Leafy greens and peanuts

It’s been a funny planting of the fall garden. But at last it’s all in and doing well. We started plants back in early August in the greenhouse. When we wanted to plant around Labor day we were being attacked full force by Harlequin bugs and rain. Bill couldn’t get into the field to plow. So on the 30th of August I started planting in raised beds and high tunnel. When those were all done I started the raised beds in the greenhouse. Two weeks ago this coming wednesday Bill was able to plow and we got in 4 rows of cabbages, kohlrabi, broccoli and cauliflower plants from the greenhouse on workday. Last wednesday workday we got what was left of the plants into raised beds and the amazing Mr. Bill got all the fields plowed and cover crop of annual rye, crimson clover, and tillage radish on. Thank goodness for great helpers on workdays!!!! Mind you I left at last light and he was still there lightly plowing in the seed. Whew what a day! So we are done with planting oops still gotta get the garlic in eventually. It’s still to early and too hot for that though.
I’m happy we ended up with the leafy greens in raised beds as the germination has been much better than in the field and it’s so much easier to water and weed. Also I was able to harvest the 1st micro salad friday for my grandson’s birthday of lettuces, kales, tat soi, tomatoes, and peppers. Sooo good! Also the spring chinese cabbage, bok choy reseeded in my raised bed so I was able to have stir fried greens for the b-day dinner too one of his favorites.
Today is the first day since late August I haven’t found one Harlequin bug to squish, crossing my fingers that they are gone now. However, now the aphids are starting on the Savoy cabbage. I’ve been able to control them with just spraying them off when I water everyday.
Well that’s more than enough for now. Have a great week all!