Happy Friday Grow Appalachians! Holly reporting on this cool morning (does anyone else love it or is it just me?) at our new Grow Appalachia HQ. I thought I would document a brief follow-up from our visit to Greenhouse 17 last week.  Mark and I went up yesterday morning to put some finishing touches on their first high tunnel.   It is coming along nicely and I am so pleased with the progress made!  What makes us even more pleased is just how excited GH17 are to be using these tunnels.  Their appreciation and enthusiasm for this program makes the work so much more worthwhile!  Thank you all, for that, and for the continued help you provide to the site!

We finished putting up the plastic, using wiggle wire, and rigged the “roll-up”system: a pole runs along the length of the tunnel and, using a lever/crank system, the plastic can be rolled up or down dependent on the amount of ventilation needed.  For the most part, that tunnel is finished, with the exception of a door.  We got the crew set up to start work on the second tunnel; Mark and I set the corners, so what’s next is driving posts in.  Part of setting the corners is using a laser level to set the center of the tunnel, so I served as the “laser catcher” for that task.  The level emits a laser dot (like a laser pointer) that serves as a straight edge, so I stood at each corner and was the “target”.  I must admit, at first I felt as if I was being marked for assassination.  Nevertheless, the corners are set, and crews are, I imagine, hard at work with the t-post driver and help aplenty, even as I write.  I heard there’s even a volunteer crew coming in tomorrow (a Saturday!!) to continue working.  I can’t wait to see what new developments await on my next visit!

Size comparison of the low tunnels and their first high tunnel.  Oh, and my shadow

Size comparison of the two different designs of high tunnels.   Oh, and my shadow!

The sun shines bright on our tunnels!

The sun shines bright on our tunnels!

The back sheet of plastic in place.  This can be removed during the summer, if desired.

The back sheet of plastic in place. This can be removed during the summer, if desired.

Mark and Jessica securing the door-side plastic.

A close-up of the "roll-up" system for the side plastic.

A close-up of the “roll-up” system for the side plastic.

The last side of the roll-up system.  Notice the lever also serves as a "kick stand" to keep it in place.

The last side of the roll-up system. Notice the lever also serves as a “kick stand” to keep it in place.

Setting the corners

Setting the corners for the second tunnel.