Roy wants corn with his beans.

Roy wants corn with his beans.

Daphne Gooding-Grow Appalachia Big Ugly

Of course deer are not the only higher mammals that can damage the garden. Raccoons are notorious, but I did not notice any such damage.  Dogs, however, are another story all together.  I have four large dogs who are completely devoted to me.  When I am in the garden they are right there to make sure I am safe and to dig up any interesting good smells.  They also like to dig a nice cool spot to relax in on a hot, humid day.  Big Ugly has named me the “Big Ugly Dog Whisperer” because whenever I go for a walk all the dogs from all the houses around me come out to escort me on my journey.  Sometimes there are as many as eleven large dogs with me.  They consider it their civic duty to supervise my garden work.  So—yes I did sustain a bit of dog damage.  But not as much as you might suspect. The photo is my collie mix “Trixie” scratching her back in the cool sand.

Betty Lou and Maggie likes the beans.

Betty Lou and Maggie likes the beans.

Dog Damage

Dog Damage

Dogs and sweet potatoes

Dogs and sweet potatoes

There was one other higher mammal that almost damaged the big garden. A power line snapped in a storm and landed right across my first corn planting.  I was out-of-town at a family reunion when it happened.  The power company technicians were going to drive their truck through the garden.  However, Marcelle and Michael came to the rescue and convinced them to do as little damage as possible.  So all that happened was a lot of soil compaction by large, heavy work boots.  Thank you Michael and Marcelle and thank you Appalachian Energy and Power for respecting the garden.