Hi Bea Sias, from Logan WV, I know that I have talked and written about the people who signed up to partner with Grow Appalachia.   I wanted them to be able to have a good garden and have food to can and have food for their families in the winter. Some of them were unemployed, some made small wages, and some had no income at all. I had one single mom who really canned or frozen everything she could get her hands to can.

Some yummy corn from the gardens!

Some yummy corn from the gardens!

I had several first time gardeners, who did quite well.  I asked one person if he was going to plant a garden next year, he said, “I can’t wait, I know how to plant and grow a garden now.”  He told me how much I have helped him and how he appreciated the opportunity that Grow Appalachia has given to all of  the participants.

Another Participant was scheduled for knee surgery, about the time we could start planting.  But she and her family was still able to  plant over 2 acres of land.  Her garden was beautiful and she managed to can a lot of good food.

Some food that has been canned.

Some food that has been canned.

Also we have a participant who is over 80 years old,  he has a beautiful garden.  It was only him and his wife, but they kept their neighbors in fresh produce, especially the ones who are not able to garden.  They also canned enough to feed an army. During the Workshops we would have him give the younger gardeners advice or pointers on how to plant, or whatever they needed help with.

IT HAS BEEN A FUN GROWING SEASON.