Hello, this is Bea Sias, From Logan County, West Virginia. We had a wonderful day on August 30th at the LEAD Community Organization’s office in Cora, West Virginia. We invited the gardeners to participate in our celebration. I asked each one to bring a dish or dishes of their favorite food they cooked or had canned to let everyone see and taste what they had grown in their garden this year. Four of the gardeners brought dishes from their garden, like coleslaw, green beans, potatoes, macaroni salad, and other different dishes. Everything was delicious. One of the gardeners brought me four small pumpkins and we had an assortment of hot peppers (which I have pictures of everything). We also had homemade apple butter, beets, and pickled corn.

Serving up great food from the gardens!

Serving up great food from the gardens!

I am pleased to say that most of the gardeners came to the event, and we decided this was a great opportunity for our gardeners to work on their fall/winter garden planning. Everyone was telling each other how well their gardens produced, what they had canned, and preserved from their gardens this season. Through the discussions we also talked about next season, we are all are looking forward to 2015 growing season.

Some of the canned food and one of the pumpkins I received.

We had a large crowd, a good time, and everyone got to show off their hard work.