I found this recipe in my baking drawer while I was at my cottage over the 4th of July. I realized I had almost all the ingredients with me that I had grown at the garden. I forgot to bring it home so I could post it but just got back from my last visit there this yr and grabbed it. It’s from the Lansing State Journal(trust it’s a very yellowed piece of newspaper), I’m guessing from 1998 as the writer credits it to “150 Vegan Favorites” by Jay Solomon (Prima publishing 1998)

Gourmet Potato and Beet Salad

4-5 med. beets
2c. diced Yukon gold potatoes, or any potatoes
2T. canola oil (I used olive)
2T. apple cider vinegar
1T. prepared horseradish(I didn’t have this, but I think it would have been good)
1T. dijon mustard
2T. chopped fresh dill or parsley (thank goodness my mom had dill)
1/2t. black pepper
1/2t. salt
2 ribs celery diced
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
3-4 T. sunflower seeds (I didn’t have these just left them out)
-Preheat oven to 400 , wrap beets in aluminum foil place on a baking pan. Roast till tender 50min to an hour. (I just simmered them till they were done like I always cook beets, cooled them slipped the skins off and proceeded with the recipe)
-Cook the diced potatoes in boiling water till tender, about 15min.Drain, rinse with cool water.(I cooked them whole because I have this crazy idea I’m losing all the nutrients by dicing then cooking.)
-In a mixing bowl whisk the oil, vinegar, horseradish, mustard, dill, pepper, and salt.
-Add the beets, potatoes, celery, onion and sunflower seeds. chill at least an hour before serving. Makes 4 servings

So this salad was a great hit with my family on the the 4th. Enjoy!!!!!