Spicy Kale Chips
Greetings from Park Place
Over the past few weeks, Grow Your Own has been partnering with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, holding workshops once a week to promote healthy living. Grow Your Own was asked to prepare dishes that were healthy and easy to make. The recipe I have picked from those workshops to blog about is easy, healthy, and delicious. Kale chips taste a lot like regular potato chips, but are obviously the healthy alternative (kale is a superfood!).
Recipe #1: Kale Chips
- Kale; washed and thoroughly dried
- olive oil
- salt (or your seasoning of choice – try cumin, cayenne pepper, or peanut butter!)
- Preheat the oven to 300 Degrees
- Remove the rib from the individual leaves of kale (you can also cut the kale up into smaller chips)
- Once the rib is removed, toss the kale in a bowl with some olive oil and spread on a baking sheet (about half a tablespoon of olive oil per baking sheet).
- Put in the oven for 10 minutes then rotate the baking sheet and leave in the oven for an additional 10 minutes (i find that turning the kale with a spoon helps too!) Be sure to watch towards the end of the last 10 minutes so that the kale does not burn!
- Season the chips to taste (get creative and use what ever seasoning you want!)
~Devan Crabtree, AmeriCorps Summer VISTA~