March

Hello everyone, just 20 days until spring is officially here. I don’t know about you all, but I’m beyond ready for it. Last weeks tease of warm weather gave me spring fever. We are just about ready for a full year of planting, growing, and harvesting those tasty vegetables. Once we get started this year, we will have something growing at all times. No breaks, not even when the cold weather sets in again. Thanks to our High Tunnels. We have 4 ready to plant. 1 more to build, for a total of 5. It will be up and ready within the next 2 weeks. When the ground dries enough for us to plant, we will start seeing things sprout and grow!   Yay!   We are going to use these high tunnels for experimental, and educational purposes, along with feeding people throughout our community. Some of the first harvest’s will be used to teach people how to preserve foods by canning and dehydrating. The way the weather has been this winter, freezing does not seem to be a good idea. Maybe in cold weather it’s not that bad, but if we have a power outage, frozen foods will perish. So, let’s get ready for a great year! I’m excited to see how things go!

2014-02-27 17.46.43