The sweet potato is a vastly nutritious tuber rich in both vitamin C and vitamin A. They are found all over the world in tropical regions and are the main for source for the people in those areas.  Contrary to popular belief sweet potatoes are not in the same family as potatoes and are more closely related to morning glories.

My garden blessed me with several large bundles of sweet potatoes.

sweet pot1

After I dug them up earlier this year I let them cure to make them last longer and prevent rot. The copy of the Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening that I have suggest that you let them cure for seven hours on top the ground and then cure for 15 days in a warm place preferably between 85 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

I began my Sweet Potato casserole the day before Thanksgiving so that I would be able to accomplish all that needed to be completed for Thanksgiving day. Let me tell you that I hardly ever measure anything and these are just estimates on what you may use. My measuring is in handfuls, pinches, dashes, and “a lit bit mores”.

First, I peeled and cubed the sweet potatoes about 3 lb, (which in my case was literally 2 of them). Then I rinsed them, put them in a pan covered with water and a dash of salt and boiled them until they were tender (times will vary based on size of cubes), stirring occasionally. I drained them an reserving the  last little bit of liquid left in the bottom of the pan as it contains many of the nutrients in sweet potatoes. I then mix them with my Kitchen Aid stand mixer slowly adding in the reserved liquid about 1/4 cup, a 1/2 stick of butter, and enough milk to make them a little creamier about 1/4 cup. I then add about a teaspoon of cinnamon,  a dash of nutmeg,  and slowly add brown sugar to taste (only add as much as you want). Then I stir in about a 1/2 cup of pecans by hand. I poured the mixture into my casserole pan and refrigerated it for the next day. Thanksgiving day I top it with mini marshmallows and put it in a cold oven* at 350 degrees. (*only needed if you chill it as a glass pan may break if it is cold and put into a hot oven.) It is done when heated thoroughly and the marshmallows are golden brown.

Golden brown deliciousness

Golden brown deliciousness
-Google Image search

This is a great dish to get picky eaters to eat their vegetables.