GreenHouse17 (formerly Bluegrass Domestic Violence Program)

Anonymous

I am writing to express my experience while working in the garden. The experience was very uplifting and helped me tremendously! At first I was overwhelmed and didn’t know what was what, I stood in a couple of places I didn’t know and was on the beds. That was kind of embarrassing, but once I figured out what was what, it got better. I have some favorites and not so favorites. I felt such at peace with the flowers and the garden, it helped me get out of the crazy world I am in, it was so therapeutic for me just to think the garden could help so much from what I am going through. I am so thankful that this place offers such an uplifting gift to take advantage of. The experience was very calming and soothing for me from the chaos I have been living in – to be able to escape and have peace of mind again was a very awesome thing. I could even start a little garden of my own one day when the time is right. But to sum it up, I really enjoyed having the opportunity to take part in the lovely beautiful garden. It was an experience I will never forget.

This post is part of our Field Notes series written by survivors of intimate partner abuse who are enrolled in our agency’s farm stipend program.