Bluegrass Domestic Violence Program
By L.

The Garden… I don’t know what it is about the garden but I felt relaxed, comfortable, stress free. Now yes it’s hard work, but if you relax and let your mind go it’s a unbelievable experience. I think God is in the Garden or who or whatever you believe your higher power is in the garden. I felt my higher power the whole time I was in the garden…I left the garden feeling good, powerful, like I was on top of the world. I really enjoy working in the garden. I think this is a good experience for me. I needed to do something to make me feel better and this job worked for me!

Working in the garden helps me in so many ways. I was a little upset with everything going on and the changes that I have to make. I didn’t know what to do to make myself feel better and get over it! So today when I worked in the garden I thought to myself weeding will help me, “Out with the bad so the plant can grow”! I was singing and weeding away, before I knew it I was pouring down in sweat from head to toe. But I stopped and thought to myself how do I feel now? I felt like everything was ok for that moment! So I kept working until it was time for me to stop. That was a really good experience for me. Even though it was hot and garden work is hard, dirty work, you feel in tune with the earth and your mind is clear. The experience somehow makes me feel like I’m helping feed someone that hungry, or someone’s that’s sad and needs flowers to lift them up only for that moment! I want a garden of my own now!

This post is part of our Field Notes series written by survivors of intimate partner abuse who are enrolled in our agency’s farm stipend program.