Bluegrass Domestic Violence Program
By B

We have been weeding a lot and watering the hoop houses. We planted more flowers. All the bee boxes are done and we have bees so pretty soon we will have honey. I can’t wait for that, fresh honey is the best. I’ve been seeing a lot of butterflies in the healing garden because a lot of the stuff planted there attracts them. It smells wonderful up there, the smell of all the flowers mixed together is awesome.

I cut flowers to make bouquets for the shelter and also so they will grow more. The flowers in the hoop houses are doing a lot better than the ones we planted in the field but they are getting there. I hope they are as pretty as the ones in the hoop houses. The potatoes didn’t do very well and she said we might plow it back and put something else in their place, which is too bad because we could eat them here and maybe sell them too.

We have already been selling all kinds of stuff we have grown in the garden, which is great because other people can benefit from it. We can promote healthy eating and maybe teach other people that they can do the same thing and save themselves a lot of money. Eating fresh foods is very good for the body and mind. I think the garden is doing great and I can’t wait to see more.  (27 May 2013)

This post is part of a series written by survivors of domestic violence who are participating in our farm stipend project.