What can an avid gardener do once it’s no longer possible to hoe a row?  Or bend to the ground to plant a seed or pull a weed?  Is it time to give it up altogether and put your garden enthusiasm to rest?

Folks having trouble with gardening the full garden plot have come up with new ideas about what can work to keep their fingers in the soil.   A popular option in our community is to make raised beds where bending low is not necessary.

As a gardener with a disability with periods of months that I cannot sit, stand or bend over for any length of time, I found that crawling with knee pads to tend to raised beds simulated doctor prescribed back stretches and allowed me to get literally hours of exercise in each day.  Instead of going nuts with the boredom of repetitious routines, I was able to enjoy my favorite activity.

Another Grow Appalachia participant finds raising the beds to nearly waist level allows him to garden without strain.

This Grow Appalachia participant is demonstrating that gardening techniques can be very creative.

Raised beds with rich soil can be intensively planted

All kinds of crops are growing in these raised beds including corn.  The Grow Appalachia Project has helped to get new and good soil into the raised beds so that the harvest will not disappoint.  The intensive gardening method also takes care of a lot of the weeds since they don’t have a place to grow.  Mature vegetables are easy to see and to pick when the time is right.

Everything in this garden is easier to manage with a disability and brings great pleasure to those tending the garden.   No need to give it up just yet  . . . . . so long as one can walk, stand or crawl.

P. S.  (from Daphne Gooding) I, too, have found that crawling around on my knees in the garden is therapy, rather than a strain on the system.

Ever heard of corn in the raised bed?

Ever heard of corn in the raised bed?

Taking raised beds to a new height!

Taking raised beds to a new height!