Bluegrass Domestic Violence Program
By M.

Today I enjoyed weeding in the strawberry patches. It felt good to be up and in the morning air. I will recommend it for everyone here. The weeding project took about two plus hours that went by fast and during the project it was a quiet time. This time gave me a chance to think of things I needed to do. I also was glad that I had completed the hours necessary for the stipend to go out and do something for me. The BDVP program has good little supervisors over their garden program that are filled with knowledge. That is something that seems to be a great uplifting match for women going through a very sad time. (25 April 2013)

Today I worked in garden, weeded, watered, and a woman here in program harvested. The warm weather change showed by size of seedlings and other shoots. It was nice to see the big lettuce leaves in the greenhouse. It gave a good feeling of completion that comes from many hands making an effort on a project. Although I just began, it does not take a trained eye to see the work that the garden supervisors and participants put into mature parts of the garden. It made watering much more rewarding and the program very enjoyable today in the sun. I cook this week for everyone for one day. I looking forward to making spinach salad with ingredients from the BDVP garden! (1 May 2013)

This post is part of a series written by survivors of domestic violence who are participating in our farm stipend project.