By Bluegrass Domestic Violence Program

Amy, our Farm Intern, recently completed her three month term with us. In addition to her hard work on the farm, she coordinated our Field Notes blog series featuring reflections from participants in our farm stipend program. In the same spirit of journaling, Amy wrote this beautiful note to say goodbye. She’s given us permission to share it with our Grow Appalachia partners and friends.

“My experience as the farm intern over the last three months has been one of the most rewarding experiences for so many reasons.  Initially, I wanted to volunteer at the BDVP to learn about the shelter because of my research interests in graduate school, but my experience has been so much more than that.  Looking back, I have realized that the BDVP, and especially Christina, Jessica, and the residents, have helped me more than I could have ever helped them.

I have grown tremendously as a person in ways that I never thought possible.  Because of the relationships that I have gained over the last three months, I appreciate all that life has to offer so much more.  Farming has allowed me to learn about all that the earth has to offer, and it has kept me grounded. I have realized that while life may be stressful and difficult at times, it is important to remember that life is more important than classes and papers.  I have met amazing, brilliant people who have so much to offer the world.

I have learned to take some time to stop, look around, and learn from others.  Every Tuesday, I would come to the farm after a stressful weekend of homework and stressful, long Monday of work.  Whether it was shoveling mulch, planting raspberries, or harvesting turnips, I have pushed myself to be a more active participant in life and appreciate the amazing experience of being able to help on the farm.

I have spent too much time letting life pass me by, and this experience has reawakened my desire to be a better person. The BDVP and especially the farm program are doing amazing things, and I feel honored to have been lucky enough to participate in it.  This experience has brought me so much happiness over the last few months, and I am forever grateful for this experience. I know that this program will continue for a long time, and I look forward to watching it continue to change people’s lives for the better in the future.”

Good luck, Amy! You’re one amazing individual. This farm has a special way of “grounding” all of us.