Bluegrass Domestic Violence Program
By B.

This post is part of a series written by survivors of domestic violence who are participating in our farm stipend project.

Working in the garden is a good way to relieve stress. I like the planting then watching it grow and seeing how well it does knowing you did everything right. Some things turn out and some things don’t but that’s how you learn from your mistakes and try again next year. Some people say that it is easy work but it is not all that easy. Some things are like planting seeds but getting the dirt ready to do isn’t.  We have been getting everything ready for this year. We have started doing the compost again including old coffee grounds, tea bags, and the old stuff from the garden last year which is a good way to recycle and still use what didn’t get used last year. We have planted one of the hoop houses and it started to grow which is very exciting. I will let you know how it turns out. We still have to get the other one ready to be planted which shouldn’t be long.  We have been doing some mulching, which I don’t like very much.  It is one part of the garden I don’t like very much and is one of the things that is not easy. I will let you know how the garden is doing as it progresses.  (15 February 2013)