Bluegrass Domestic Violence Program
By D.H.

This is the first in a series of posts written by survivors of domestic violence who are participating in our farm stipend project.

Working on a farm has always been something I wanted to do. Having been in agriculture all through high school and in FFA where I raised pigs, I jumped at the chance to be a part of this [farm stipend program]. I also had small gardens off and on as an adult. So far, I’ve cleaned the shed where the tools are stored, got the hoop house ready to plant, seeded one side of the hoop house (with arugula, broccoli) and fertilized and watered the hoop house.  I trimmed raspberry bushes to start regrowth, mulched some trees, and started to see the growth of our orchard. I look forward to going to work every day and hope to work on the farm in the future. I get to play in the dirt and help produce food that will feed our residents.  How cool is that! I’m thankful for this opportunity. Is it hard work, yes. Is it cold in the mornings, sometimes. If you love mother nature and all she has to offer, it’s worth it. (15 February 2013)