Potato Seed Pods 

images-3.jpegAt one of my site visits, a participant handed me a cluster of small tomato fruit that she found growing out of her potato plants.  “What is it?”, she asked.  Even after growing potatoes for many years, she had never seen anything like it before.    Maggie from Pine Mountain told me that they are seed pods.  
When potato plants have flowered, some varieties will produce small green fruits that resemble green cherry tomatoes.  These pods contain up to 300 true potato seeds.  When the pods become soft, the seeds can be harvested by finely chopping the pods and soaking  them in water.  The pulp and seeds will ferment, the pulp rise to the top and seeds will fall to the bottom. After rinsing and drying the seeds, they can be stored in a cool place until they are ready for planting in the spring.
Although potatoes can be grown from seed, most people grow potatoes from tubers, because potato seeds may not produce the same type of potato that the seed came from.  They may produce a wide array of potatoes which may or may not have a good flavor or texture.  Also, potato seed pods contain large amounts of alkaloid solanine and are poisonous to eat.
    Garden Participant of the Week  – Mrs. Lackey
SDC10274.JPG.jpg
“I am a wife, mother to six children, grandmother to three grandchildren,  I attend St. Jude Catholic church. I enjoy gardening, quilting, sewing, making rosaries that I send several Priest in Uganda  for orphans, sick and elderly folks. I love being outdoors in my garden.  When I work in my garden although it is work I find it helps me relax and I find myself thinking of everyone I promised to pray for, I grow my garden because I want healthy foods for my family and friends.  I know exactly where my food is coming from and what goes into that process.”                                                                              

Mrs. Lackey volunteered at the health fair.
SDC10265.JPG.jpg
Mrs. Lackey met John Paul Dejoria at London, Ky gathering